From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] sys-devel/gcc::mgorny up for testing
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2014 16:21:38
1 Dnia 2014-12-08, o godz. 09:56:11
2 Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On Sun, 7 Dec 2014 11:37:57 +0100
5 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > 1. No cross-compilation support. If the project proves being a success
8 > > it will be readded at some point. However, I will likely fork glibc
9 > > first and work on a sane crossdev alternative.
10 >
11 > Could you please elaborate on this ?
12 > How and why this broke, what is wrong in glibc, what would be a "sane
13 > crossdev alternative" and how crossdev is not.
14
15 1. eblits are broken in glibc. Another case of incorrect interpretation
16 of code sharing with love for breaking stable ebuilds. Plus I'd love to
17 add multilib flags to it but we'll likely doing that to main glibc as
18 well soon, if eblits don't get into our way.
19
20 2. crossdev is broken because it creates semi-random, unmaintained
21 ebuilds in randomly chosen overlay, those ebuilds relying on
22 toolchain.eclass behavior.
23
24 3. I don't have any real alternative design yet. However, one
25 of the first ideas of changing crossdev is to replace copying ebuilds
26 with symlinking gcc ebuild directory. This will at least ensure proper
27 sync between real ebuilds and cross-ebuilds.
30 Best regards,
31 Michał Górny