From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] sys-devel/gcc::mgorny up for testing
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 02:30:10
1 On 12/09/2014 11:21, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Dnia 2014-12-08, o godz. 09:56:11
3 > Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> napisał(a):
4 >
5 >> On Sun, 7 Dec 2014 11:37:57 +0100
6 >> Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
7 >>
8 >>> 1. No cross-compilation support. If the project proves being a success
9 >>> it will be readded at some point. However, I will likely fork glibc
10 >>> first and work on a sane crossdev alternative.
11 >>
12 >> Could you please elaborate on this ?
13 >> How and why this broke, what is wrong in glibc, what would be a "sane
14 >> crossdev alternative" and how crossdev is not.
15 >
16 > 1. eblits are broken in glibc. Another case of incorrect interpretation
17 > of code sharing with love for breaking stable ebuilds. Plus I'd love to
18 > add multilib flags to it but we'll likely doing that to main glibc as
19 > well soon, if eblits don't get into our way.
20
21 Originally, eblits were supposed to be ways of sharing common blocks of code
22 between ebuilds in a specific package, but not anything that would warrant a
23 new eclass (local package eclasses, kinda?). They never really took off for
24 reasons lost to time. I use them in mips-sources, but version them so that if
25 I change an eblit, it gets a new version and the old version is removed only
26 when there are no more consumers.
27
28 The idea of eblits itself isn't bad, but probably could use some re-thinking
29 and/or re-implementation. Especially if a decent amount of kilobytes can be
30 shaved off a given package's directory.
33 > 2. crossdev is broken because it creates semi-random, unmaintained
34 > ebuilds in randomly chosen overlay, those ebuilds relying on
35 > toolchain.eclass behavior.
36
37 I would argue this isn't necessarily "broken". crossdev produces working
38 cross-toolchains and is a valuable tool for anyone running multiple arches,
39 especially slower arches. How it produces said working cross-toolchains is an
40 implementation detail. Don't be so hasty as to throw the baby out with the
41 bathwater.
44 Joshua Kinard
45 Gentoo/MIPS
46 kumba@g.o
47 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
48
49 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our
50 lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
51
52 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic