From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Opinion against /usr merge
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 00:13:14
1 On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 07:19:48PM -0400, Richard Yao wrote:
2 > On 07/17/2012 07:02 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > This is basically not relevant since we do not support HURD.
4 >
5 > It is relevant because it guarantees that the GNU stuff in @system will
6 > continue working. That allows us to narrow our focus to the non-GNU
7 > things required to use Gentoo Linux.
8 >
9 > Looking at @system and what it typically pulls into @world, the only
10 > thing that might cause a problem is udev, although virtual/dev-manager
11 > is in @system, rather than udev. If that happens, we have a few ways of
12 > dealing with that:
13 >
14 > 1. Patch udev.
15
16 I think I can come up with a patch locally that will read rules from
17 /lib/udev/rules.d if that's what we want to do for now.
18
19 > 2. Fork udev.
20
21 I don't think this is necessary, and it would create more work for us
22 than is needed.
23
24 > >> Lastly, don't tell me to read systemd's case for why we should break
25 > >> people's systems. I have read it and I find it flawed. There is
26 > >> absolutely no need for us to make this change.
27 > >
28 > > Without elaboration on why you find their case flawed, this sounds
29 > > like the typical, "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" argument.
30 > > While that has merrit, if there are advantages to doing
31 > > something, like I think there would be to doing the /usr merge, it may
32 > > be worth the transition, especially if we can make it as smooth as
33 > > possible.
34 >
35 > The cost to benefit ratio is simply too low for "lets change it because
36 > it could be better this way" to merit making the change. The things that
37 > I have heard are going to break existing systems that I have gone
38 > through some trouble to support. I really don't want to see that.
39
40 You are still not saying what things you have heard. Your concerns can't
41 be addressed if you don't tell us what they are.
42
43 William