From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Opinion against /usr merge
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 00:38:28
1 On 07/17/2012 08:12 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
2 >>>> Lastly, don't tell me to read systemd's case for why we should break
3 >>>> people's systems. I have read it and I find it flawed. There is
4 >>>> absolutely no need for us to make this change.
5 >>>
6 >>> Without elaboration on why you find their case flawed, this sounds
7 >>> like the typical, "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" argument.
8 >>> While that has merrit, if there are advantages to doing
9 >>> something, like I think there would be to doing the /usr merge, it may
10 >>> be worth the transition, especially if we can make it as smooth as
11 >>> possible.
12 >>
13 >> The cost to benefit ratio is simply too low for "lets change it because
14 >> it could be better this way" to merit making the change. The things that
15 >> I have heard are going to break existing systems that I have gone
16 >> through some trouble to support. I really don't want to see that.
17 >
18 > You are still not saying what things you have heard. Your concerns can't
19 > be addressed if you don't tell us what they are.
20 >
21 > William
24 I have yet to see any convincing reason to do this other than "RedHat is
25 doing it". This change will not make Gentoo a better distribution and it
26 is simply not worth the pain. Some people appear to think that this is
27 an urgent issue and I doubt anything I say will change their minds. The
28 main problem that I have is getting them to accept that they are wrong
29 that urgent action is needed. I firmly believe that we could wait a few
30 years before doing anything.
31
32 With that said, I have done enough to get the attention of systemd
33 advocates. Giving you an itemized critique of the systemd documentation
34 on the list would draw even more attention to myself and I do not want
35 that. Anything more needs to be said off the list, but quite frankly, I
36 think what I have said is more than sufficient.