From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Opinion against /usr merge
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 00:47:08
1 On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 8:34 PM, Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
2 > I have yet to see any convincing reason to do this other than "RedHat is
3 > doing it". This change will not make Gentoo a better distribution and it
4 > is simply not worth the pain. Some people appear to think that this is
5 > an urgent issue and I doubt anything I say will change their minds. The
6 > main problem that I have is getting them to accept that they are wrong
7 > that urgent action is needed. I firmly believe that we could wait a few
8 > years before doing anything.
9
10 I don't think anybody else is suggesting doing anything at all in the
11 first place.
12
13 If we don't do anything, then lots of stuff moves to /usr. I think
14 that is what you're missing. The /usr move basically starts happening
15 on its own automatically if we DON'T do much. This is because
16 upstream is the one pushing it.
17
18 Few are advocating rushing either - if upstream takes years to make
19 this happen I doubt it will upset many on this list.
20
21 My sense is the general maintainer sentiment is to go with the flow -
22 they're not going to patch udev/etc to move more stuff into usr, but
23 they're not gong to patch it to move stuff back out either. If you
24 really want to support leaving stuff where it is then you or others
25 need to volunteer to start helping with maintaining these packages,
26 and deal with any mess it creates.
27
28 Rich