From: NP-Hardass <NP-Hardass@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Rebooting the Installer Project
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 19:36:33
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 12:01:48 -0700
5 Matthew Marchese <maffblaster@g.o> wrote:
6
7 > Hello all,
8 >
9 > I have recently pressed the reboot button on the ol' Installer
10 > project. I've been able to talk to quite a few developers one-on-one
11 > via IRC concerning my plans. Most seem to be in support of Gentoo
12 > having a "official" installer (the biggest concern is appears to be
13 > how things will be implemented and the amount of features involved).
14 > This e-mail is to fulfill GLEP 39's request for comments (RFC),
15 > concerns, requests, etc. Since I'm a little new to the project I'm
16 > coming with a bit of ignorance; I know the previous Installer project
17 > fostered mixed feelings.
18 >
19 > If you'd like to review before replying you can see the Wiki page and
20 > find the source on GitHub: https://github.com/gentoo/stager
21 >
22 > To summarize I'm writing it in pure Python 3. It first will be able
23 > to create full backups (stage 4s) and recoveries. After that is
24 > finished I plan to move on to installations. There will potentially
25 > be a web interface UI for it. Others are free to create other
26 > front-ends; to me a web UI makes the most sense and would probably
27 > require the least deps.
28 >
29 > I'd like to hear it all so please speak your mind. Looking forward to
30 > hearing from you.
31 >
32 > maffblaster
37 Who is your target audience? New users? Experienced users? Not so
38 much a comment about your installer, but installers in general, I feel
39 the handbook is critically important to helping new users to understand
40 Gentoo. Whether the handbook would remain a resource that users would
41 look at if they had an installer remains to be seen. The project page
42 states:
43
44 "Greatly aiding the "fresh install process". stager will not
45 remove the need for reading through the Handbooks, but rather work
46 along side the handbook in order to help users install Gentoo."
47
48 Can you elaborate on this? I have trouble envisioning an automated
49 installer process that requires working along side the handbook.
50
51 I know that you mentioned a web interface. I assume that you there are
52 plans for a simpler, local interface like ncurses or cli, or text in a
53 terminal? Is it meant to be interactive?
54
55 I like the idea of having an automated installer, so I wish you the
56 best of luck with the project. I'm sure you'll encounter tons of
57 people with tons of opinions on what it should and shouldn't be, so
58 just do your best to maintain a clear, well-defined vision and stick to
59 it.
60
61 - --
62 NP-Hardass