From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, tommy@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: virtual/libudev
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 15:06:10
1 On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > Are you aware how much additional code and maintenance does keeping two
3 > hacked build systems introduce? One of things I don't want to do is
4 > keeping the list of *all other* systemd targets up-to-date,
5 > and installing them all by hand.
6
7 I'd assumed that Thomas was representing some lack of consensus among
8 the systemd team. If the systemd team really is aligned with wanting
9 to install udev within their build then the virtual makes sense to me.
10 It would have no impact on other packages and would make things
11 easier for systemd.
12
13 That said, we need to keep an eye on any continuing drift between udev
14 and our needs. If there is a fork and one does the /usr move then we
15 need to figure out some way of handling that.
16
17 Just seems like part of the continuing "Androidification" of Linux.
18 It really is the year of the linux desktop (or phone), but linux only
19 in the sense of the kernel that is being run. Between the /usr move,
20 systemd, upstart, wayland, unity, GnomeOS, udev, and who knows what is
21 next, it seems like we're going to end up with 20 medium-sized distros
22 and no piece of code runs reliably on more than one or two of them.
23 Linux will end up having less in common with itself than it currently
24 has in common with Solaris.
25
26 Rich