From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: rich0@g.o, tommy@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: virtual/libudev
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 14:53:41
1 On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 10:35:32 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > > On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 21:23:39 +0200
7 > > Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o> wrote:
8 > >> As discussed on IRC, there is still no consensus for installing the
9 > >> udev files with systemd, which is the beginning for the block and
10 > >> the virtual. So we should first sort that point out, before we
11 > >> even start to think about an ebuild for an udev virtual.
12 > >
13 > > Do you have a technical or policy reason prohibiting me from
14 > > maintaining a systemd ebuild following the upstream policies?
17 > It sounds like we have two packages that COULD provide udev - udev and
18 > systemd. If we decide for both of them to provide udev then we need a
19 > virtual and they need to block (which should make switching more fun).
20 > If we decide to keep using the udev package to install udev then we
21 > don't need a virtual.
22
23 No, switching is no fun. It's plain simple with weak blockers. It's
24 even their purpose.
25
26 > I'd view this like the split kde ebuilds. Upstream ships a monster
27 > tarball, and we install it in chunks. Just because upstream ships
28 > both packages together doesn't require us to install them together.
29 > From a code-reuse standpoint and ease of transition standpoint it
30 > makes sense to keep them split, as long as we can have everybody
31 > continue to use the same udev codebase.
32
33 Are you aware how much additional code and maintenance does keeping two
34 hacked build systems introduce? One of things I don't want to do is
35 keeping the list of *all other* systemd targets up-to-date,
36 and installing them all by hand.
39 Best regards,
40 Michał Górny