From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: tommy@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: virtual/libudev
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 14:36:26
1 On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 21:23:39 +0200
3 > Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o> wrote:
4 >> As discussed on IRC, there is still no consensus for installing the
5 >> udev files with systemd, which is the beginning for the block and the
6 >> virtual. So we should first sort that point out, before we even start
7 >> to think about an ebuild for an udev virtual.
8 >
9 > Do you have a technical or policy reason prohibiting me from maintaining
10 > a systemd ebuild following the upstream policies?
13 It sounds like we have two packages that COULD provide udev - udev and
14 systemd. If we decide for both of them to provide udev then we need a
15 virtual and they need to block (which should make switching more fun).
16 If we decide to keep using the udev package to install udev then we
17 don't need a virtual.
18
19 I'd view this like the split kde ebuilds. Upstream ships a monster
20 tarball, and we install it in chunks. Just because upstream ships
21 both packages together doesn't require us to install them together.
22 From a code-reuse standpoint and ease of transition standpoint it
23 makes sense to keep them split, as long as we can have everybody
24 continue to use the same udev codebase.
25
26 Rich