From: Michael Cummings <mcummings@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: herding (was: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: A heretical thought? project sunrise as an almost-fork.)
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 21:10:29
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 OK, when I get invoked by name, then I have to respond :) (obligatory
5 bah) Mind you, this conversation really deserves its own thread since my
6 comments stray far, far away from the sunset project (that's going to be
7 my project for retired ebuilds available still in an overlay...hey, i
8 was making that up, but suddenly it sounds like a nice idea....)
9
10 Jakub Moc wrote:
11 > So, if they actually _are_
12 > maintained by the relevant herd, then you shouldn't dump stuff on that
13 > herd without discussing it w/ them first. I'm pretty sure mcummings will
14 > gladly explain to you what will happen if you do, as well as a bunch of
15 > other devs... :P
16
17 The gripe in this respect is that we have developers (who don't respond
18 to emails, friendly or otherwise) that will dump packages into dev-perl,
19 copy a metadata.xml from another pkg, and leave it as is - and since we
20 (perl project folks) use a stock metadata.xml listing perl as the herd,
21 and perl@g.o as maintainer, that means we get stuck with the
22 package. It sucks because you get bugs for badly written ebuilds and
23 your only trace of how it got there is either the ChangeLog (if you're
24 lucky) or the cvs log (had to resort to that once or twice too) - and in
25 the end, the bugger doesn't care who's package it is, they want it
26 fixed, and its not their fault for filing a bug, so you grind on and
27 take care of it.
28
29 Now getting all documented for a change, according to the Gentoo
30 Metadata page [1] every metadata file should contain at least one herd
31 subtag, and the maintenance of the package falls to that herd if there
32 is no maintainer also listed. (at least that's my interpretation of the
33 maintainer description, which says a package "[b]esides being a member
34 of a herd, can also be maintained directly." Even the examples in this
35 document direct the reader to believing that the herd listed is the
36 primary responsible party for the package, with the listed maintainer
37 being the alternate/additional maintainer. So when Jakub says:
38
39 > To make it pretty clear and explicit - bugs gets assigned to
40 > <maintainer> (if there's any in metadata.xml), and get CCed to <herd>
41 > (if there's any in metadata.xml). If there's no <maintainer>, whoever is
42 > in <herd> will get that bug assigned and can happily smack you <> once
43 > they've find out you've dumped the package on them without their
44 > knowledge...
45
46 he does appear to be correctly quoting the documentation on the site.
47 And we can't blame the bug wranglers for following this documentation -
48 we either update it or accept that that's what we have published to date.
49
50 's all I got. I may not be a lawyer - but I did ace my con law classes ;)
51
52 ~mcummings
53
54 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=2&chap=4