From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage QOS
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 18:23:10
1 On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 08:31:21 +0800
2 Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
3 > On 01/10/2014 08:16 AM, heroxbd@g.o wrote:
4 > > Igor <lanthruster@×××××.com> writes:
5 > >
6 > >> The ebuilds have approximately the same time to install, the
7 > >> failure rate is about the same, emerge is getting slower.
8 > >
9 > > I am curious about the slowness of emerge.
10 > >
11 > > How about profile the portage and rewrite the time-crucial part in
12 > > C/C++, or ideally, borrowing the counterpart from paludis? How
13 > > feasible is that?
14 >
15 > Last I checked paludis wasn't faster - on average portage was a few
16 > percents faster.
17
18 Your benchmark was comparing uncached behaviour, where bash is the slow
19 part and which users don't see. You were also not comparing like with
20 like -- any benchmarks of this nature should be taken with a heavy
21 pinch of salt, since Portage with everything turned on does less
22 validation that Paludis does with everything turned off...
25 Ciaran McCreesh