From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage QOS
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 03:54:33
1 On 01/11/2014 02:11 AM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 08:31:21 +0800
3 > Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
4 >> On 01/10/2014 08:16 AM, heroxbd@g.o wrote:
5 >>> Igor <lanthruster@×××××.com> writes:
6 >>>
7 >>>> The ebuilds have approximately the same time to install, the
8 >>>> failure rate is about the same, emerge is getting slower.
9 >>>
10 >>> I am curious about the slowness of emerge.
11 >>>
12 >>> How about profile the portage and rewrite the time-crucial part in
13 >>> C/C++, or ideally, borrowing the counterpart from paludis? How
14 >>> feasible is that?
15 >>
16 >> Last I checked paludis wasn't faster - on average portage was a few
17 >> percents faster.
18 >
19 > Your benchmark was comparing uncached behaviour, where bash is the slow
20 > part and which users don't see.
21 Wrong - even the cached cases was showing the same timing proportions.
22
23 And users see the uncached case whenever they use an overlay.
24
25 > You were also not comparing like with
26 > like -- any benchmarks of this nature should be taken with a heavy
27 > pinch of salt, since Portage with everything turned on does less
28 > validation that Paludis does with everything turned off...
29 >
30 Not my problem, bad code is bad.