From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Email subdomain
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 22:43:32
1 On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 03:27:52PM -0700, Tres Melton wrote:
2 > staff.gentoo.org forum staff
3 > amd64-at.gentoo.org Arch testers for the amd64 platform
4 > contributer.gentoo.org People that donate $$$ to Gentoo
5 > retired.gentoo.org A thanks for helping earlier domain
6 >
7 > For the developers like ferringb, solar, vapier, etc. that have many
8 > roles perhaps they could have the subdomains forward to their
9 > @gentoo.org address. But then again that complicates things for the
10 > -infra team which I don't want to do. That is why I've tried to keep
11 > quiet. There is still quite a bit for me to learn.
12
13 Easier, and saner to just plain drop the subdomain notion. Avoids the
14 whole gentoo personel first class/second class issue first of all,
15 second avoids infra aliasing annoyances.
16
17 Note also that retired.gentoo.org shouldn't really accomplish
18 anything, unless the dev is able to send through the account (if they're
19 retired, I would posit they shouldn't be able to).
20
21 > deltacow stated that in IRC... and my response to that is: "that is
22 > what IRC cloaks are for". Voice is used to mark AT's in #gentoo-amd64
23 > but the voice is used mostly for tor users in #gentoo. I don't want to
24 > open a new can of worms by bringing in IRC but there really is no
25 > standardization throughout the channels and I think that is the way that
26 > most people want to keep it. I'm not suggesting anything until I learn
27 > more.
28
29 Subject for another glep I'd think, although tbh not something I
30 personally have much interest in- rules and conventions across
31 channels vary fairly massively. I wouldn't be too happy if the
32 language requirement wound up forced on #gentoo-portage for example
33 (nor do I suspect would the hardened crowd) :)
34
35 ~harring