From: Tres Melton <tres@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Email subdomain
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 22:30:36
1 On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 20:48 +0100, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 09:09:29PM -0400, Luis F. Araujo wrote:
3 > > What is the problem of giving them @g.o addresses?
4 > > Why exactly do we need the distinction? (sorry, i can't see any benefit
5 > > but more confusion).
6 >
7 > One (important) part of the GLEP is the request that the arch tester has
8 > passed the Staff Quiz and that a probation period should be passed before
9 > read-only CVS access is given. I'm personally wondering how close this comes
10 > to becoming a real developer (which, iirc, is something the trustees should
11 > be called upon as the Foundation should keep track of "what" defines a
12 > "Gentoo Developer", as developers have voting rights on the Foundation
13 > board). As I said before, the arch testers themselves aren't asking for
14 > being a developer but rather for additional tools to help them do their
15 > work.
16
17 I not only took the staff quiz but the ebuild one as well (I think all
18 of the amd64 AT had to) and my primary goals of doing so were to get a
19 bit more credibility in bugzy and CVS access (ro). After spending a bit
20 more time in bugzy I really would like to be able to see what comments
21 are coming from other ATs as easily as I can tell which comments are
22 from the devs. There have been a couple of developers that have tried
23 to recruit me and although I think I have pretty good computer/Linux
24 skills I still have a lot to learn about the internals of Gentoo. I
25 intend to become a developer when I learn a bit more so I just consider
26 an AT as an interim step in becoming a dev but many ATs want to stay at
27 that level for whatever their reasons. (I can certainly understand the
28 desire NOT to HAVE to follow these long threads. :) If ATs get a @g.o
29 address the same problem will arise with determining the difference
30 between an AT with similar experience to me and a developer with much
31 more experience than me -- the need to refer to an external list. For
32 that reason I would prefer to have sub-domain addresses.
33
34 I think that there should be other sub-domains too but the current
35 people should be left alone under a grandfather clause. That would also
36 help to see what people are working on what.
37
38 staff.gentoo.org forum staff
39 amd64-at.gentoo.org Arch testers for the amd64 platform
40 contributer.gentoo.org People that donate $$$ to Gentoo
41 retired.gentoo.org A thanks for helping earlier domain
42
43 For the developers like ferringb, solar, vapier, etc. that have many
44 roles perhaps they could have the subdomains forward to their
45 @gentoo.org address. But then again that complicates things for the
46 -infra team which I don't want to do. That is why I've tried to keep
47 quiet. There is still quite a bit for me to learn.
48
49 Earlier vapier said: "AT's dont generally want that level of
50 commitment. i'm not saying that what they contribute is meaningless
51 (they have a useful role in the Gentoo project), just that i'd like to
52 think that i, and other 'full devs', take it to the next level."
53
54 While I believe that some AT's don't want that level of commitment I
55 don't think that is true in the general sense. I think most of the AT's
56 from the amd64 team are in the process of learning what it takes to
57 truly be a developer before we are held accountable for the inevitable
58 mistakes that we will make while learning. I just pray that I don't
59 have to get to vapier's level before becoming a devel. He sets the bar
60 at a very high level for both activity and skill (as do many other devs
61 -- but not all).
62
63 deltacow stated that in IRC... and my response to that is: "that is
64 what IRC cloaks are for". Voice is used to mark AT's in #gentoo-amd64
65 but the voice is used mostly for tor users in #gentoo. I don't want to
66 open a new can of worms by bringing in IRC but there really is no
67 standardization throughout the channels and I think that is the way that
68 most people want to keep it. I'm not suggesting anything until I learn
69 more.
70
71 Again, the ro-cvs access is what I want most from the GLEP and I offer
72 this opinion because I was asked to. Thanks all,
73
74 > I've said it in the first meeting and I'll reiterate: what is the sentiment
75 > of the arch testers in this case (if they are still reading this thread)?
76 >
77 > Wkr,
78 > Sven Vermeulen
79 >
80 > PS I would be quite surprised if there is *one* arch tester who feels good
81 > with this entire thread; it doesn't show of much appreciation between
82 > people. There is a huge difference between saying that a group has "made
83 > an unfortunate decision" or "did not grasp the essence of the proposal
84 > and situation needed to make a good decision", and "abuse of powers".
85 >
86 > PPS
87 > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0670883395/002-5294388-6434402?v=glance&n=283155&s=books&v=glance
90 Tres Melton