From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Email subdomain
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 19:53:01
1 On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 09:09:29PM -0400, Luis F. Araujo wrote:
2 > What is the problem of giving them @g.o addresses?
3 > Why exactly do we need the distinction? (sorry, i can't see any benefit
4 > but more confusion).
5
6 The GLEP was originally created to help the architecture testers with a
7 specific privilege: read-only CVS access. This would allow them to improve
8 the quality of the ebuilds sooner, help the architecture teams identify
9 working (and perhaps even more important, not-working) tools and perform
10 tests on the global system to make sure the distribution is in top-notch
11 shape.
12
13 The e-mail address was not that important, but was decided to bring it in
14 "the package" because it would be some sort of appreciation to those users.
15
16 One general idea was that arch testers wouldn't be developers because they
17 have no formal obligation to the Gentoo project: we don't expect them to put
18 in x hours a week in Gentoo, read the gentoo-core and -dev mailinglists or
19 even catch up with most of the events that happen in Gentoo (like GLEPs and
20 such). This is also a request from the arch testers, because many of them
21 *can't* devote much time to Gentoo anyway.
22
23 That sentiment is reflected in using a subdomain address, and from what we
24 heard no tester had any problems with this (the e-mail addy is far less
25 important than the rest of the GLEP).
26
27 There was never an idea of marking one type of developer different from
28 another (this was in fact specifically rejected in the first meeting) but
29 rather giving non-developers some appreciation. Perhaps the proposed
30 appreciation is misplaced - fine, if that is the sentiment, we'll try to get
31 a better one.
32
33 One (important) part of the GLEP is the request that the arch tester has
34 passed the Staff Quiz and that a probation period should be passed before
35 read-only CVS access is given. I'm personally wondering how close this comes
36 to becoming a real developer (which, iirc, is something the trustees should
37 be called upon as the Foundation should keep track of "what" defines a
38 "Gentoo Developer", as developers have voting rights on the Foundation
39 board). As I said before, the arch testers themselves aren't asking for
40 being a developer but rather for additional tools to help them do their
41 work.
42
43 I've said it in the first meeting and I'll reiterate: what is the sentiment
44 of the arch testers in this case (if they are still reading this thread)?
45
46 Wkr,
47 Sven Vermeulen
48
49 PS I would be quite surprised if there is *one* arch tester who feels good
50 with this entire thread; it doesn't show of much appreciation between
51 people. There is a huge difference between saying that a group has "made
52 an unfortunate decision" or "did not grasp the essence of the proposal
53 and situation needed to make a good decision", and "abuse of powers".
54
55 PPS
56 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0670883395/002-5294388-6434402?v=glance&n=283155&s=books&v=glance
59 Gentoo Foundation Trustee | http://foundation.gentoo.org