From: Patrick McLean <chutzpah@××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Email subdomain
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 22:23:10
1 Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 09:09:29PM -0400, Luis F. Araujo wrote:
3 >
4 >>What is the problem of giving them @g.o addresses?
5 >>Why exactly do we need the distinction? (sorry, i can't see any benefit
6 >>but more confusion).
9 > The GLEP was originally created to help the architecture testers with a
10 > specific privilege: read-only CVS access. This would allow them to improve
11 > the quality of the ebuilds sooner, help the architecture teams identify
12 > working (and perhaps even more important, not-working) tools and perform
13 > tests on the global system to make sure the distribution is in top-notch
14 > shape.
15 >
16 Read-only CVS would make my life easier, as others have said it would
17 let me keep up to date without risking being banned for rsyncing every
18 30 minutes.
19
20 > The e-mail address was not that important, but was decided to bring it in
21 > "the package" because it would be some sort of appreciation to those users.
22 >
23 I agree, the email address is certainly not necessary, but as a couple
24 of devs have mentioned before, it might make identifying arch testers in
25 b.g.o easier. I don't know what the implementation details would be, but
26 maybe making a flag for arch testers in bugzilla could serve that
27 purpose as well.
28
29 > One general idea was that arch testers wouldn't be developers because they
30 > have no formal obligation to the Gentoo project: we don't expect them to put
31 > in x hours a week in Gentoo, read the gentoo-core and -dev mailinglists or
32 > even catch up with most of the events that happen in Gentoo (like GLEPs and
33 > such). This is also a request from the arch testers, because many of them
34 > *can't* devote much time to Gentoo anyway.
35
36 I don't and can't read -core, but I do keep an eye on -dev. I try to put
37 what time I can into testing, but realistically I don't have huge
38 volumes of free time, though I am hoping to eventually be a full dev.
41 > PS I would be quite surprised if there is *one* arch tester who feels good
42 > with this entire thread; it doesn't show of much appreciation between
43 > people. There is a huge difference between saying that a group has "made
44 > an unfortunate decision" or "did not grasp the essence of the proposal
45 > and situation needed to make a good decision", and "abuse of powers".
46 >
47 > PPS
48
49 This thread has had a disturbing amount of bickering, and there appears
50 to be a bit of a sentiment that arch testers don't contribute anything
51 more than a normal user. I have filed and commented on more bugs in the
52 week since I became an arch tester than I had total in the 3 years I
53 have been using Gentoo before that.
54
55 The email addresses are also a side point of this whole discussion, it
56 won't make testing anywhere near as much easier as ro CVS access would.
57 --
58 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list