From: Mike Cvet <mcvet@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Email subdomain
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 22:06:23
1 Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > As I said before, the arch testers themselves aren't asking for
3 > being a developer but rather for additional tools to help them do their
4 > work.
5 >
6 > I've said it in the first meeting and I'll reiterate: what is the sentiment
7 > of the arch testers in this case (if they are still reading this thread)?
8 >
9 > Wkr,
10 > Sven Vermeulen
11 >
12 > PS I would be quite surprised if there is *one* arch tester who feels good
13 > with this entire thread; it doesn't show of much appreciation between
14 > people. There is a huge difference between saying that a group has "made
15 > an unfortunate decision" or "did not grasp the essence of the proposal
16 > and situation needed to make a good decision", and "abuse of powers".
19 By far and large, the most important feature of that GLEP is the cvs-ro
20 access which would allow us as ATs to get updates to the tree as quickly
21 as possible, and (as someone mentioned previously) avoid getting banned
22 from the rsync servers for trying to do so.
23
24 In actuality, the email address isn't that big of a deal - I acknowledge
25 that it was put in the GLEP by the AMD64 devs as a form of recognition
26 for the work that we do; but it server other purposes as well - namely,
27 recognition on bugzilla that we were in fact members of an arch team.
28 This would save developers the trouble of looking our email addresses up
29 in a list on the arch team page, and prevent users from submitting
30 'copycat' bugzilla reports about the stability of packages, not
31 realizing that these bugs were actually submitted by arch testers.
32
33 Frankly, I (not speaking for the rest of the testers, but I'm sure they
34 agree to some extent) didn't expect this to explode into the issue it
35 has become, and don't really care what domain name we get on an address
36 - we would be happy to get one at all. If the GLEP needs to be delayed
37 again to make everyone happy, that's fine with me. There was obviously
38 some miscommunication over the whole situtation, and I don't think that
39 that is any reason for people to get violent.
40
41 Cv
42 }
45 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list