From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: moving default location of portage tree
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 03:16:53
1 On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 06:24:20PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 6:11 PM Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Is it a violation of the FHS? /usr is for readonly data and the portage tree is generally readonly, except when being updated. The same is true of everything else in /usr.
7 > It is application metadata. It belongs in /var. No other packages
8 > write to /usr when they're doing internal updates. Obviously you need
9 > a writable /usr to actually install package changes, but that
10 > shouldn't be necessary just to sync the repository.
11 >
12 > I was asking around and it seems like most distros stick their
13 > repositories in /var/lib. I can't imagine that too many would have
14 > even considered sticking them in /usr.
15
16 That is the other part of this debate, some are saying /var/lib, and
17 others are saying /var/db.
18
19 It turns out that /var/db is much more common than I thought it was
20 (it exists in all *bsd variants at least), so that could be an argument
21 for putting the repos in there.
22
23 > > I am confused as to how we only now realized it was a FHS violation when it has been there for ~15 years. I was under the impression that /usr was the correct place for it.
24 >
25 > It has certainly been pointed out in the past. Nothing was changed
26 > for the same reason that nothing will probably be changed this time -
27 > people don't like change and the people who know better just slowly
28 > patch around Gentoo's oddities. Somebody was just posting a manifesto
29 > about deploying more experimental technologies, and here we can't move
30 > a repository out of /usr.
31
32 Another reason this couldn't be changed in the past was catalyst had a
33 lot of hard coded references to /usr/portage. This has been fixe. in
34 catalyst-3 and I understand that releng is now using catalyst-3.
35
36 William