From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: moving default location of portage tree
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 12:27:09
1 On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 11:16 PM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > That is the other part of this debate, some are saying /var/lib, and
4 > others are saying /var/db.
5 >
6 > It turns out that /var/db is much more common than I thought it was
7 > (it exists in all *bsd variants at least), so that could be an argument
8 > for putting the repos in there.
11 FreeBSD does not put the package repository in /var/db.
12
13 Portage cloned many of the file paths from FreeBSD along with the
14 name/concept. FreeBSD puts their package repository in /usr/ports, so
15 I'm not sure I'd hold them out as a great example of FHS.
18 Rich