From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GRP set consolidation
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 20:33:09
1 On Sat, 2004-05-22 at 11:15, John Davis wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 17:34, Joshua Brindle wrote:
3 > > Ok, we just had a conversation in #gentoo-dev and it seems most people
4 > > are interested in this. The problem as it stands is that our mirrors are
5 > > low on space and so other projects can't get space, such as embedded,
6 > > hardened and even other archs. The main user of space is having 5 grp
7 > > packagecd's for x86 alone. The idea is to build a consolidated grp set
8 > > with a generic -mcpu (i686 or so) and then use that.
9 > >
10 > > As I'm sure this will become a large and flaming thread, and probably
11 > > won't read them all I'll just go ahead and suggest that we add this to
12 > > the next meeting to discuss it if there are large amounts of disagreement.
13 > >
14 > > Joshua Brindle
15 > >
16 > > --
17 > > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
18 >
19 > Josh -
20 > Seems like something good to research to me. GRP does take up a lot of
21 > space on the mirrors, not mentioning the fact that it takes a ton of
22 > time to build.
23 >
24 > But..
25 >
26 > Before we do anything, I would like to gather some user input. I
27 > remember klieber talking about a system that he was setting up that we
28 > could use to survey users. Kurt, any progress? I don't want to make a
29 > relatively major change to releases without at least some user input.
30 > Cheers,
31 > //zhen
32
33 Just to stick in an oar here from someone who has used grp for a group
34 install, it is handy to have the individual grp packages on the mirrors,
35 rather than an iso.
36
37 Then if you want kde but not gnome, you just download the parts you
38 want.
39
40 we used PORTAGE_BINHOST= and emerge -g to do this from our own server
41 (had downloaded isos for 3 or 4 architectures first, and loopback
42 mounted them in /var/www/localhost/htdocs/gentoo/grp/$SUBARCH/, then a
43 fresh stage3 installee could type emerge -g kde and wander off for a
44 coffee.
45
46 Anyway I can see that space on the servers is limited, so I guess
47 putting individual packages on the server could not be additional to the
48 iso's.
52 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list