From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Remove cups from default profile to solve circular deps
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 16:12:58
1 On 2010.03.04 02:17, Dale wrote:
2
3 [snip]
4 >
5 > Let just think of it this way. I have to reinstall say from a dead
6 > hard
7 > drive. I have copies of my make.conf and world file. I install my
8 > new
9 > drive, download the tarball and unpack it. I copy over make.conf and
10 > world. Naturally cups will be enabled. Then I sync and start to
11 > update. Isn't that circular dependency still going to be there?
12 > After
13 > all, this is how I install Gentoo even if from scratch. I set my USE
14 > line before I start to emerge or update.
15 >
16 > It seems to me, in my situation, this would not solve much. Maybe I
17 > am
18 > incorrect in that.
19 >
20 > Dale
21 >
22 > :-) :-)
25 Dale,
26
27 That's not a new install as per the handbook. Neither are you a new
28 user as you have a premade make.conf and world file and some experience
29 with Gentoo.
30
31 Put yourself in the place of a brand new Gentoo user doing his/her
32 first install.
33
34 It needs to just work out of the box, one way or another, without
35 forums posts or calls for help in #gentoo about circular dependences.
36 That's not just cups - thats all circular dependencies.
39 Regards,
40
41 Roy Bamford
42 (Neddyseagoon) an member of