From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Remove cups from default profile to solve circular deps
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 02:17:36
1 chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
2 > I'm not talking about selectively disabling cups. My proposal is
3 >
4 >>>> to no longer enable the cups useflag in the base profile. I don't
5 >>>> think cups should be part of the base profile, and as a result
6 >>>> cascading to the desktop profile. And a lot of people seem to
7 >>>> agree. Users can always enable that functionality when they
8 >>>> need it. It is not something that is necessary for running a
9 >>>> desktop system.
10 >>>>
11 >>>> Cheers,
12 >>>>
13 >>>>
14 >>> I agree that CUPS is not really necessary in the desktop profile, and
15 >>> especially in the base profile. Many systems run desktop
16 >>> environments without needing printing support. As we advance further
17 >>> toward a paperless computing experience, the need for printing
18 >>> support becomes even less. And, as it is incredibly simple to add
19 >>> print capabilities by placing the cups USE flag in /etc/make.conf,
20 >>> that choice should be left to the user.
21 >>>
22 >>> Regards,
23 >>> Nathan Zachary
24 >>>
25 >> One could argue the opposite as well. Adding -cups to make.conf is
26 >> just as easy.
27 >>
28 >> I'm one of those lowly users.
29 >>
30 >> Dale
31 >>
32 >> :-) :-)
35 > I think that the point is that it is better to have it disabled by
36 > default so that new users do not run into these circular dependencies
37 > upon their first installation. They can then add cups to their
38 > make.conf and emerge -avuDN world to get full printing support.
39 >
40 > Just as a sidebar, there is not a "lowly user." Your input is greatly
41 > important in all matters regarding Gentoo as you are a member of the
42 > userbase. It's your operating system too! :)
43 >
44 > Regards,
45 > Nathan Zachary
49 Let just think of it this way. I have to reinstall say from a dead hard
50 drive. I have copies of my make.conf and world file. I install my new
51 drive, download the tarball and unpack it. I copy over make.conf and
52 world. Naturally cups will be enabled. Then I sync and start to
53 update. Isn't that circular dependency still going to be there? After
54 all, this is how I install Gentoo even if from scratch. I set my USE
55 line before I start to emerge or update.
56
57 It seems to me, in my situation, this would not solve much. Maybe I am
58 incorrect in that.
59
60 Dale
61