From: Nathan Zachary <nathanzachary@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Remove cups from default profile to solve circular deps
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 02:24:04
1 On 03/03/10 20:17, Dale wrote:
2 > chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
3 >> I'm not talking about selectively disabling cups. My proposal is
4 >>
5 >>>>> to no longer enable the cups useflag in the base profile. I don't
6 >>>>> think cups should be part of the base profile, and as a result
7 >>>>> cascading to the desktop profile. And a lot of people seem to
8 >>>>> agree. Users can always enable that functionality when they
9 >>>>> need it. It is not something that is necessary for running a
10 >>>>> desktop system.
11 >>>>>
12 >>>>> Cheers,
13 >>>>>
14 >>>>>
15 >>>> I agree that CUPS is not really necessary in the desktop profile, and
16 >>>> especially in the base profile. Many systems run desktop
17 >>>> environments without needing printing support. As we advance further
18 >>>> toward a paperless computing experience, the need for printing
19 >>>> support becomes even less. And, as it is incredibly simple to add
20 >>>> print capabilities by placing the cups USE flag in /etc/make.conf,
21 >>>> that choice should be left to the user.
22 >>>>
23 >>>> Regards,
24 >>>> Nathan Zachary
25 >>>>
26 >>> One could argue the opposite as well. Adding -cups to make.conf is
27 >>> just as easy.
28 >>>
29 >>> I'm one of those lowly users.
30 >>>
31 >>> Dale
32 >>>
33 >>> :-) :-)
34 >>>
35 >>>
36 >> I think that the point is that it is better to have it disabled by
37 >> default so that new users do not run into these circular dependencies
38 >> upon their first installation. They can then add cups to their
39 >> make.conf and emerge -avuDN world to get full printing support.
40 >>
41 >> Just as a sidebar, there is not a "lowly user." Your input is greatly
42 >> important in all matters regarding Gentoo as you are a member of the
43 >> userbase. It's your operating system too! :)
44 >>
45 >> Regards,
46 >> Nathan Zachary
50 > Let just think of it this way. I have to reinstall say from a dead
51 > hard drive. I have copies of my make.conf and world file. I install
52 > my new drive, download the tarball and unpack it. I copy over
53 > make.conf and world. Naturally cups will be enabled. Then I sync and
54 > start to update. Isn't that circular dependency still going to be
55 > there? After all, this is how I install Gentoo even if from scratch.
56 > I set my USE line before I start to emerge or update.
57 >
58 > It seems to me, in my situation, this would not solve much. Maybe I
59 > am incorrect in that.
60 >
61 > Dale
62 >
64 >
65 I believe the circular dependency is solved if one emerges gtk+ (and
66 possibly poppler?) without CUPS support, and then goes back and emerges
67 everything with CUPS.
68
69 Regards,
70 Nathan Zachary