From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Remove cups from default profile to solve circular deps
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 02:41:49
1 chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
2 > On 03/03/10 20:17, Dale wrote:
3 >> chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
4 >>> I'm not talking about selectively disabling cups. My proposal is
5 >>>>>> to no longer enable the cups useflag in the base profile. I don't
6 >>>>>> think cups should be part of the base profile, and as a result
7 >>>>>> cascading to the desktop profile. And a lot of people seem to
8 >>>>>> agree. Users can always enable that functionality when they
9 >>>>>> need it. It is not something that is necessary for running a
10 >>>>>> desktop system.
11 >>>>>>
12 >>>>>> Cheers,
13 >>>>>>
14 >>>>> I agree that CUPS is not really necessary in the desktop profile, and
15 >>>>> especially in the base profile. Many systems run desktop
16 >>>>> environments without needing printing support. As we advance further
17 >>>>> toward a paperless computing experience, the need for printing
18 >>>>> support becomes even less. And, as it is incredibly simple to add
19 >>>>> print capabilities by placing the cups USE flag in /etc/make.conf,
20 >>>>> that choice should be left to the user.
21 >>>>>
22 >>>>> Regards,
23 >>>>> Nathan Zachary
24 >>>> One could argue the opposite as well. Adding -cups to make.conf is
25 >>>> just as easy.
26 >>>>
27 >>>> I'm one of those lowly users.
28 >>>>
29 >>>> Dale
30 >>>>
31 >>>> :-) :-)
32 >>>>
33 >>> I think that the point is that it is better to have it disabled by
34 >>> default so that new users do not run into these circular dependencies
35 >>> upon their first installation. They can then add cups to their
36 >>> make.conf and emerge -avuDN world to get full printing support.
37 >>>
38 >>> Just as a sidebar, there is not a "lowly user." Your input is greatly
39 >>> important in all matters regarding Gentoo as you are a member of the
40 >>> userbase. It's your operating system too! :)
41 >>>
42 >>> Regards,
43 >>> Nathan Zachary
44 >>>
45 >>
46 >> Let just think of it this way. I have to reinstall say from a dead
47 >> hard drive. I have copies of my make.conf and world file. I install
48 >> my new drive, download the tarball and unpack it. I copy over
49 >> make.conf and world. Naturally cups will be enabled. Then I sync
50 >> and start to update. Isn't that circular dependency still going to
51 >> be there? After all, this is how I install Gentoo even if from
52 >> scratch. I set my USE line before I start to emerge or update.
53 >>
54 >> It seems to me, in my situation, this would not solve much. Maybe I
55 >> am incorrect in that.
56 >>
57 >> Dale
58 >>
59 >> :-) :-)
60 >>
61 > I believe the circular dependency is solved if one emerges gtk+ (and
62 > possibly poppler?) without CUPS support, and then goes back and
63 > emerges everything with CUPS.
64 >
65 > Regards,
66 > Nathan Zachary
67
68 So in the situation above, removing cups doesn't help any? The user
69 would still have to work around the dependency problem. Is there not a
70 better way to handle this?
71
72 Dale
73