From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Remove cups from default profile to solve circular deps
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 03:07:44
1 On 03/03/2010 09:41 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > So in the situation above, removing cups doesn't help any? The user
3 > would still have to work around the dependency problem. Is there not a
4 > better way to handle this?
5
6 Agreed that there should be better ways of handling things.
7
8 However, at the very least if somebody follows the instructions in the
9 Gentoo Handbook to the letter, they shouldn't end up staring at an error
10 message. A completely scripted install using any non-experimental
11 profile should "just work."
12
13 So, removing the use flag should probably be done at least in the interim.
14
15 That said, I do agree that we need to try to avoid this circular
16 dependency in the first place. It is kind of silly that you can't even
17 do an emerge -u world right out of a stage3 using a fairly common set of
18 use flags and get a working system.