From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Remove cups from default profile to solve circular deps
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 03:19:54
1 chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
2 > On 03/03/2010 09:41 PM, Dale wrote:
3 >> So in the situation above, removing cups doesn't help any? The user
4 >> would still have to work around the dependency problem. Is there not a
5 >> better way to handle this?
6 >
7 > Agreed that there should be better ways of handling things.
8 >
9 > However, at the very least if somebody follows the instructions in the
10 > Gentoo Handbook to the letter, they shouldn't end up staring at an
11 > error message. A completely scripted install using any
12 > non-experimental profile should "just work."
13 >
14 > So, removing the use flag should probably be done at least in the
15 > interim.
16 >
17 > That said, I do agree that we need to try to avoid this circular
18 > dependency in the first place. It is kind of silly that you can't
19 > even do an emerge -u world right out of a stage3 using a fairly common
20 > set of use flags and get a working system.
23 I only raised the point in case someone could come up with a better long
24 term solution. It may be that this is the only way right now. However,
25 it may be that someone will consider this that actually sits and writes
26 the code for portage or decides how dependencies are calculated. Maybe
27 a better way will present itself in the future. A good solution for
28 most of the blocks was found so this will be dealt with at some point
29 with a long term plan.
30
31 Now watch some geek find a really simple solution next week. ;-)
32
33 Dale
34