From: Nathan Zachary <nathanzachary@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Remove cups from default profile to solve circular deps
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 01:57:08
1 I'm not talking about selectively disabling cups. My proposal is
2 >>> to no longer enable the cups useflag in the base profile. I don't
3 >>> think cups should be part of the base profile, and as a result
4 >>> cascading to the desktop profile. And a lot of people seem to
5 >>> agree. Users can always enable that functionality when they
6 >>> need it. It is not something that is necessary for running a
7 >>> desktop system.
8 >>>
9 >>> Cheers,
10 >>>
11 >> I agree that CUPS is not really necessary in the desktop profile, and
12 >> especially in the base profile. Many systems run desktop
13 >> environments without needing printing support. As we advance further
14 >> toward a paperless computing experience, the need for printing
15 >> support becomes even less. And, as it is incredibly simple to add
16 >> print capabilities by placing the cups USE flag in /etc/make.conf,
17 >> that choice should be left to the user.
18 >>
19 >> Regards,
20 >> Nathan Zachary
21 >
22 > One could argue the opposite as well. Adding -cups to make.conf is
23 > just as easy.
24 >
25 > I'm one of those lowly users.
26 >
27 > Dale
28 >
29 > :-) :-)
30 >
31 I think that the point is that it is better to have it disabled by
32 default so that new users do not run into these circular dependencies
33 upon their first installation. They can then add cups to their
34 make.conf and emerge -avuDN world to get full printing support.
35
36 Just as a sidebar, there is not a "lowly user." Your input is greatly
37 important in all matters regarding Gentoo as you are a member of the
38 userbase. It's your operating system too! :)
39
40 Regards,
41 Nathan Zachary