From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Remove cups from default profile to solve circular deps
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 01:53:40
1 chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
2 > On 03/03/10 15:51, Ben de Groot wrote:
3 >> On 3 March 2010 19:45, Mart Raudsepp<leio@g.o> wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> I don't believe we should selectively cripple one GUI toolkit with not
6 >>> having proper printing support out of the box on a desktop profile,
7 >>> while others do, just because maintainers are lazy.
8 >>>
9 >> I'm not talking about selectively disabling cups. My proposal is
10 >> to no longer enable the cups useflag in the base profile. I don't
11 >> think cups should be part of the base profile, and as a result
12 >> cascading to the desktop profile. And a lot of people seem to
13 >> agree. Users can always enable that functionality when they
14 >> need it. It is not something that is necessary for running a
15 >> desktop system.
16 >>
17 >> Cheers,
18 >>
19 > I agree that CUPS is not really necessary in the desktop profile, and
20 > especially in the base profile. Many systems run desktop environments
21 > without needing printing support. As we advance further toward a
22 > paperless computing experience, the need for printing support becomes
23 > even less. And, as it is incredibly simple to add print capabilities
24 > by placing the cups USE flag in /etc/make.conf, that choice should be
25 > left to the user.
26 >
27 > Regards,
28 > Nathan Zachary
29
30 One could argue the opposite as well. Adding -cups to make.conf is just
31 as easy.
32
33 I'm one of those lowly users.
34