From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reminder on dependencies.
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 08:52:31
1 On Tuesday 25 October 2005 08:01, Spider (D.m.D. Lj.) wrote:
2 >
3 > actually, I'm not in agreement here. If I install libfoo, be it from
4 > binaries or source, I certainly expect to be able to use libfoo, and
5 > that includes being able to build software against it, things I work
6 > on myself, other sources, or sources from Gentoo.
7 >
8 > We can hack around the later by being fanatical with our own DEPEND
9 > tracking, for the other two, our tree will remain completely broken.
10 >
11 > This is a case where we, a source based distro, is actually a crappier
12 > development platform than any of the current binary distributions.
13
14 I agree with Spider here. DEPEND in package x to me means what is needed
15 to make x build. RDEPEND in package x means what is needed to use package
16 x. There are various uses of x. One is running said package, another one
17 is building some other package (say y) against it.
18
19 This last meaning (building y against x) might have been put in a separate
20 dependency variable. This however is not so usefull as we have the
21 current format. But putting that meaning in DEPEND would mean that
22 portage would certainly need to merge all build time dependencies of a
23 package x to merge y. As such packages like virtual/jdk, autoconf,
24 automake might be unneededly pulled in.
25
26 Paul
29 Paul de Vrieze
30 Researcher