From: "Spider (D.m.D. Lj.)" <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reminder on dependencies.
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 06:04:32
1 On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 22:51 -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Spider (D.m.D. Lj.) wrote:
6 > | Why? Because they just install the hard RDEPEND, so if you have a system
7 > | installed from binaries, you get working linking, but nothing will
8 > | compile for the system.
9 >
10 > Right, until you actually install the build-time deps. Not unexpected or
11 > surprising after thinking about it.
12 >
13 > | Theese level of inheritance bugs are a ripe minefield for the whole
14 > | distribution, and one that will severely damage the distribution as a
15 > | whole. one way of solving it is to go through each and every
16 > | top-level application and violently scan all its included files, and all
17 > | files included from those headers in turn, in order to get the
18 > | dependencies right.
19 > |
20 > | The other is to fix the level closest to the breakage by making sure
21 > | that headers are treated like libraries.
22 > |
23 > |
24 > | Hope I'm making this clear enough, its fairly early.
25 >
26 > So there's a harder but more technically correct solution (specifying
27 > includes as DEPENDs where necessary), and an easier but not as correct
28 > solution (considering build-time dependencies as run-time dependencies).
29 >
30 > At least that's how things look from my perspective.
31
32 actually, I'm not in agreement here. If I install libfoo, be it from
33 binaries or source, I certainly expect to be able to use libfoo, and
34 that includes being able to build software against it, things I work on
35 myself, other sources, or sources from Gentoo.
36
37 We can hack around the later by being fanatical with our own DEPEND
38 tracking, for the other two, our tree will remain completely broken.
39
40 This is a case where we, a source based distro, is actually a crappier
41 development platform than any of the current binary distributions.
44 //Spider
47 begin .signature
48 Tortured users / Laughing in pain
50 end