From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: Brad Laue <brad@g.o>
Cc: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo 1.4.1 and GRP
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:07:00
1 On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 03:05:09PM -0400, Brad Laue wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 14:39, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
3 > > I'm sure you've tried Debian or any other distribution then, because that's
4 > > exactly what they do. They provide you with a quick and easy installation of
5 > > binary packages. For the packages you want optimization, they provide an easy
6 > > way to create packages for it.
7 >
8 > Why would I try Debian? I use Gentoo because it has up-to-date packages
9 > and feature-customizability. I don't like using shoddy backports and
10 > questionable third party repositories, thankyouverymuch.
11 >
12 > > I dislike GRP too. I feel that it takes (development) resources from us that
13 > > could be invested in more innovative projects. I feel that GRP is an effort
14 > > to reach more users instead of focussing on what Gentoo really was about
15 > > several months back.
16 >
17 > That's a damaging state of mind. Wanting to adhere to one's original
18 > goals is great, but it's resulted in the stagnation of every open-source
19 > project which has done so rigidly.
22 So you think we should strive to be a binary distribution?
23
24 How would sticking to our source-based model cause "stagnation"?
27 Jon Portnoy
28 avenj/irc.freenode.net
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list