From: Brad Laue <brad@g.o>
To: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo 1.4.1 and GRP
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:01:03
1 On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 14:39, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > I'm sure you've tried Debian or any other distribution then, because that's
3 > exactly what they do. They provide you with a quick and easy installation of
4 > binary packages. For the packages you want optimization, they provide an easy
5 > way to create packages for it.
6
7 Why would I try Debian? I use Gentoo because it has up-to-date packages
8 and feature-customizability. I don't like using shoddy backports and
9 questionable third party repositories, thankyouverymuch.
10
11 > I dislike GRP too. I feel that it takes (development) resources from us that
12 > could be invested in more innovative projects. I feel that GRP is an effort
13 > to reach more users instead of focussing on what Gentoo really was about
14 > several months back.
15
16 That's a damaging state of mind. Wanting to adhere to one's original
17 goals is great, but it's resulted in the stagnation of every open-source
18 project which has done so rigidly.
19
20 Brad
24 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list