From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo 1.4.1 and GRP
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:14:14
1 On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 03:05:09PM -0400, Brad Laue wrote:
2 > Why would I try Debian? I use Gentoo because it has up-to-date packages
3 > and feature-customizability. I don't like using shoddy backports and
4 > questionable third party repositories, thankyouverymuch.
5
6 We all like Gentoo for a number of reasons. I can very well give you a nice
7 text on what I like of Gentoo, but that's beside the point.
8
9 Gentoo's goal wasn't to provide its users with a fast installation method. If
10 you make an enumeration of all features that distinguishes Gentoo from any
11 other distribution, and you take out one feature at a time, you'll result in
12 "yet another distribution".
13
14 > > I dislike GRP too. I feel that it takes (development) resources from us that
15 > > could be invested in more innovative projects. I feel that GRP is an effort
16 > > to reach more users instead of focussing on what Gentoo really was about
17 > > several months back.
18 >
19 > That's a damaging state of mind. Wanting to adhere to one's original
20 > goals is great, but it's resulted in the stagnation of every open-source
21 > project which has done so rigidly.
22
23 Most Open Source projects that want to achieve the biggest number of users
24 resulted in becoming non-innovating projects. They all use formulae of which
25 they know that the users like. Gentoo's idea wasn't to use such formulae, but
26 to develop and innovate in the hope (and persist) that what it is doing is
27 innovative, new and fun.
28
29 Adhering to your original goals is a primary goal: do you want to lose users
30 that started with Gentoo (because of what it promised originally) but now
31 drive off because Gentoo has "changed its mind"?
32
33 There is so much to develop without going "the binary way". Lots of
34 enhancement-requests were made. Several developers want to start with a
35 rewritten Portage (faster, cleaner, more secure and more manageable). Others
36 want to increase the stability and amount of ebuilds. Just check the
37 enhancementlist on bugs.gentoo.org. Do we really want to focus fully on
38 extending our (working) installation ?
39
40 Wkr,
41 Sven Vermeulen
44 ^__^ And Larry saw that it was Good.