From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please port your packages to Python 3.8
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2020 13:06:53
1 On 2020-09-04 08:54, Alexis Ballier wrote:
2 >
3 > py37 will (*) still be installed as it cannot be depcleaned because of
4 > 1. emerge won't fail since deps are satisfied.
7 > (*) or rather should, but I think the only case that matters is a valid
8 > system state where noone forced uninstall of a needed package or
9 > manually rm'ed some random files
12 There's no need to speculate; use pkgcore for a month and come back and
13 tell me how much comfort these hypotheticals were.
16 >> or..
17 >>
18 >> 3b. Some reverse dependency of foo-1.2.3 gets python-3.8 support.
19 >> 4b. A user tries to install that revdep, but the PM sees that
20 >> the latest version of foo is already installed, and it (the
21 >> installed version) doesn't support python-3.8. Mysterious
22 >> error messages and manual intervention ensue.
25 > precisely the case I wrote above: unsatisfied dep -> pull ebuild.
26 > non-issue too.
27
28 It's easy to say "well this is not an issue because it can be solved by
29 <thing no package manager does and is not part of the PMS>..."
30
31 If it's easy, get it added to the PMS and I'll agree with you.