From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please port your packages to Python 3.8
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2020 13:23:08
1 On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 9:06 AM Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > It's easy to say "well this is not an issue because it can be solved by
4 > <thing no package manager does and is not part of the PMS>..."
5 >
6 > If it's easy, get it added to the PMS and I'll agree with you.
9 Current Gentoo policy:
10
11 "Maintainers must not assume that dynamic dependencies will be applied
12 by the package manager. When changing runtime dependencies the
13 maintainer should revision the ebuild if the changes are likely to
14 cause problems for end users." [1]
15
16 Certainly having a discussion about whether this could change down the
17 road is reasonable, but keep in mind this would require package
18 managers to actually be changed, which requires code.
19
20 Out of the box portage has issues with dynamic deps[2] so it isn't a
21 solved problem on any package manager, let alone all of them.
22
23 In the interim, devs MUST revbump in these situations. The Council
24 left some room for discretion, and as a result I end up having portage
25 rebuild everything on changed deps because frankly I don't trust
26 people to get it right, since if people can't see for themselves the
27 reason for a rule it seems to be a reason to ignore it.
28
29 The rule is also documented in the devmanual[3].
30
31 1 - https://projects.gentoo.org/council/meeting-logs/20151011-summary.txt
32 2 - https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Portage/Changed_Deps#Ebuild_Revision_Bumps
33 3 - https://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/ebuild-revisions/index.html