From: Maxim Kammerer <mk@×××.su>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] We should lastrite splashutils in it's current form and not allow it in tree before it's fixed.
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 19:30:17
1 On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 9:16 PM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
2 > I'm not against dropping splashutils, but is there an alternative to
3 > creating or managing framebuffer-splash in the tree? fbsplash doesn't
4 > seem to be there (tho i don't know if that's the same upstream package
5 > or not)
6
7 Fbsplash is a part of splashutils. There is also an fbcondecor kernel
8 patch, apparently maintained by someone else now. Splashutils have an
9 extremely complex structure of daemons, control programs, and
10 interaction with the kernel via UVESAFB — I had to revisit this
11 structure every time I had to change something wrt. splashutils
12 integration.
13
14 Not to claim that plymouth is the solution — last time I tried it (~ 2
15 years ago) it was practically unusable with OpenRC. It took control of
16 the console in some weird and buggy way, etc. I guess you could
17 integrate it into a specific system with specific video driver, but I
18 gave up on plymouth as a generic solution. Maybe it works well with
19 systemd, but from what I gathered the last time, it is (or used to be)
20 explicitly disabled on unsupported video cards by the relevant
21 distros.
24 Maxim Kammerer
25 Liberté Linux: http://dee.su/liberte