From: Maxim Koltsov <maksbotan@g.o>
To: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] We should lastrite splashutils in it's current form and not allow it in tree before it's fixed.
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 20:31:49
1 2014-07-21 23:29 GMT+04:00 Maxim Kammerer <mk@×××.su>:
2
3 > On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 9:16 PM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
4 > > I'm not against dropping splashutils, but is there an alternative to
5 > > creating or managing framebuffer-splash in the tree? fbsplash doesn't
6 > > seem to be there (tho i don't know if that's the same upstream package
7 > > or not)
8 >
9 > Fbsplash is a part of splashutils. There is also an fbcondecor kernel
10 > patch, apparently maintained by someone else now. Splashutils have an
11 > extremely complex structure of daemons, control programs, and
12 > interaction with the kernel via UVESAFB — I had to revisit this
13 > structure every time I had to change something wrt. splashutils
14 > integration.
15 >
16 > Not to claim that plymouth is the solution — last time I tried it (~ 2
17 > years ago) it was practically unusable with OpenRC. It took control of
18 > the console in some weird and buggy way, etc. I guess you could
19 > integrate it into a specific system with specific video driver, but I
20 > gave up on plymouth as a generic solution. Maybe it works well with
21 > systemd, but from what I gathered the last time, it is (or used to be)
22 > explicitly disabled on unsupported video cards by the relevant
23 > distros.
26 Well, at the moment plymouth works fine for me with OpenRC. I've installed
27 plymouth-openrc-plugin and it's ok, despite being old and rather
28 unmaintained. FYI, I use plymouth with dracut initramfs generator.
29 And I also heard from maintainer (I'm proxy maintainer of plymouth) that it
30 works with systemd too.
33 > --
34 > Maxim Kammerer
35 > Liberté Linux: http://dee.su/liberte