From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding slot and subslot deps to others' packages
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 19:56:50
1 On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 2:44 PM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 1:09 PM, Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Honestly, setting up a tracker and blocking it with bugs about packages
4 >> which someones-sub-SLOT-checking-script has vetted to be involved could
5 >> be done in less than a day (for the hundred or so packages that depend
6 >> on dev-libs/libgcrypt). It doesn't need some QA team to study in depth
7 >> -- it needs a couple of volunteers to do the checks and file the bug
8 >> reports.
11 > Unless I have missed mgorny's point here, this isn't just about
12 > libraries that have currently subslots. This is about every single
13 > library in the tree.
14
15 Correct - my script will spot packages that depend on libraries that
16 are set up with subslots, but which don't contain a slot operator dep.
17
18 It will not spot libraries that do not use subslots.
19
20 However, I'm not sure why you'd need a tracker per library for that.
21 Adding a subslot to a library impacts only that library. Once that is
22 done then the script I wrote will detect all the other packages which
23 should be modified to go along with it. You can add a subslot to a
24 library without adding a corresponding slot operator dep to every
25 package that uses it.
26
27 I think it makes more sense to add subslots to libs and not revbump
28 them, vs not doing anything for 18 months because it is too much work.
29 Sure, the full benefit won't come up-front without all the work, but
30 you'll at least get some benefit vs not ever getting any. The perfect
31 is the enemy of the good...
32
33 Rich