From: "Daniel Schömer" <daniel.schoemer@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Inotify and (f)crontabs
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 16:20:21
1 Hi!
2
3 Ryan Reich wrote:
4 > On 7/1/07, Daniel Schömer <daniel.schoemer@×××.net> wrote:
5 >> $ sudo fcrontab -l systab
6 >> [...]
7 >> %hourly 0-30 run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly
8 >> %daily * * run-parts --report /etc/cron.daily
9 >> [...]
10 > Thanks for sharing this. [...] This is a more elegant solution
11 > than the run-crons method, though it doesn't have quite the
12 > same effect as instructing cron to actually run each command
13 > separately (their outputs will be mailed in conglomerate,
14 > rather than one mail per periodic program. This is, according
15 > to your preferences, either a bug or a feature.
16
17 I have never really thought about the combined mails. I'm using
18 this on my desktop with only a few scripts in
19 /etc/cron.{h,d,w,m}*/. Thinking about it now, I would prefer one
20 mail per script. At least when there are more than just a few
21 scripts run by cron.
22
23 I can't see an elegant way implementing this directly in fcron.
24 A modified version of run-parts that's capable of mailing the
25 output of each script (or all in conglomerate if specified) to
26 the runnig user (or a specified account) may do.
27
28 > Less ambiguously a bug, though, is that the syslog will only
29 > record running run-parts and not which parts were run).
30
31 Would it be sufficient to let this also be done by run-parts?
32 Then there would be records of fcron starting run-parts and
33 records of run-parts starting each script.
34
35 > Have you any thoughts on what to do with check_system_crontabs?
36 > Its schedule is inherently reactive and not periodic, so
37 > really, administering it with (f)cron at all is a logical
38 > error. That's why I suggested inotify in the first place.
39
40 I must say, I can't remember that I've seen check_system_crontabs
41 on my desktop; maybe I just suppressed it :-). Now that I think
42 of it, I'm remembering an elog message from the fcron ebuild
43 telling me to use the fcrontab systab for system-wide jobs
44 instead of /etc/{f,}crontab.
45
46 Using inotify sounds more logical for me than using (f)cron for
47 this.
48
49 Daniel Schömer
52 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list