From: Ryan Reich <ryan.reich@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Inotify and (f)crontabs
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 17:34:45
1 On 7/1/07, Daniel Schömer <daniel.schoemer@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > Ryan Reich wrote:
5 > > [...]
6 > > My issue: I just installed fcron and I have to say, I'm
7 > > a little disappointed with the kludgy mechanism for
8 > > implmenting:
9 > >
10 > > 1. easy configuration, meaning I don't have to run fcrontab
11 > > personally
12 > >
13 > > 2. /etc/cron.{hourly,daily,weekly,monthly} These are implmented
14 > > by some very silly-looking polling tricks which, even in
15 > > principle, will necessarily waste 83% (that's 5/6) of their
16 > > efforts and clutter the logs with useless and uninformative
17 > > messages.
18 > > [...]
19 >
20 > I just want to share my system-wide fcrontab:
21 >
22 > $ sudo fcrontab -l systab
23 > PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
24 >
25 > !nice(15)
26 > !noticenotrun(false)
27 > !serial(true)
28 >
29 > %hourly 0-30 run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly
30 > %daily * * run-parts --report /etc/cron.daily
31 > %weekly * * run-parts --report /etc/cron.weekly
32 > %monthly * * * run-parts --report /etc/cron.monthly
33 >
34 > I use fcron's capabilities to execute the files in
35 > /etc/cron.{hourly,daily,weekly,monthly}/ once within each period.
36
37 Thanks for sharing this. I'd never seen this run-parts utility
38 before, though I see at least that it's a Debian contribution rather
39 than a standard utility (thus I avert shame). This is a more elegant
40 solution than the run-crons method, though it doesn't have quite the
41 same effect as instructing cron to actually run each command
42 separately (their outputs will be mailed in conglomerate, rather than
43 one mail per periodic program. This is, according to your
44 preferences, either a bug or a feature. Less ambiguously a bug,
45 though, is that the syslog will only record running run-parts and not
46 which parts were run).
47
48 Have you any thoughts on what to do with check_system_crontabs? Its
49 schedule is inherently reactive and not periodic, so really,
50 administering it with (f)cron at all is a logical error. That's why I
51 suggested inotify in the first place.
54 Ryan Reich
55 --
56 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list