From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Most common ebuild mistakes?
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 03:48:16
1 maillog: 22/08/2005-04:25:38(+0100): Ciaran McCreesh types
2 > On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 23:10:58 -0400 "Nathan L. Adams" <nadams@××××.org>
3 > wrote:
4 > | What are the most common ebuild mistakes?
5 > | ...
6 >
7 > KEYWORDS, under-quoting of variables (we didn't used to care about
8 > quoting on ${D} etc), using einstall when it's not necessary, using
9 > emake when make should be used, using make when emake should be used,
10
11 When should make be used? I thought that ebuilds should always use
12 emake, and if necessary -- emake -j1. But never make.
13
14 > general formatting, missing ()s after use? tokens, duff header, duff
15 > indenting, weird extra blank lines, not being sandbox-aware, not using
16 > IUSE correctly, specifying USE flags and not using them, things being
17 > detected based upon what's installed rather than USE flags, not using
18 > eclasses when eclasses should be used. That lot should get you started,
19 > I can come up with a whole load more once you've gotten those ones
20 > nailed down :)
21 >
22 > Existing tools will already get some of these. However, most
23 > user-submitted ebuilds have quite clearly not been run through
24 > repoman...
27 > Georgi Georgiev > Good judgement comes from experience. >
28 < chutz@×××.net < Experience comes from bad judgement. -- <
29 > +81(90)2877-8845 > Jim Horning >