From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Most common ebuild mistakes?
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 03:28:36
1 On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 23:10:58 -0400 "Nathan L. Adams" <nadams@××××.org>
2 wrote:
3 | What are the most common ebuild mistakes?
4 |
5 | A script will never be a substitute for good peer review, but it can
6 | easily detect (and even correct in some cases) common syntax errors.
7 | So I'm looking for a list of things like under-quoting variables,
8 | improper spacing, etc.
9
10 KEYWORDS, under-quoting of variables (we didn't used to care about
11 quoting on ${D} etc), using einstall when it's not necessary, using
12 emake when make should be used, using make when emake should be used,
13 general formatting, missing ()s after use? tokens, duff header, duff
14 indenting, weird extra blank lines, not being sandbox-aware, not using
15 IUSE correctly, specifying USE flags and not using them, things being
16 detected based upon what's installed rather than USE flags, not using
17 eclasses when eclasses should be used. That lot should get you started,
18 I can come up with a whole load more once you've gotten those ones
19 nailed down :)
20
21 Existing tools will already get some of these. However, most
22 user-submitted ebuilds have quite clearly not been run through
23 repoman...
26 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
27 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
28 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm