From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Sets in the tree
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 20:03:47
1 On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 20:28:02 +0100
2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > [.. SNIP ..]
5
6 Thank you.
7
8 > > > In order for sets to be added to the tree, we need a spec, we need
9 > > > to decide where sets are allowed (package.mask?), and we need an
10 > > > implementation.
11 > >
12 > > Sets in package.mask sounds unreliable as that would prohibit the
13 > > set from being changed as long as it masked; unless of course, the
14 > > specification would allow for a concept like "mask sets" to exist
15 > > where a particular set is denoted as masked. Otherwise, you would
16 > > have people add / remove things from a normal set and break the mask
17 > > intent.
18 >
19 > Using the conventional view of what a "set" is,
20
21 But what kind of view would that be, a mathematical set, a set from a
22 prior discussion or a completely different set? I assume the first one.
23
24 > the point is to allow you to mask, say, kde7 using a single line, and
25 > then define what kde7 is using a set. Then the user can unmask kde7
26 > without having to copy a big, potentially changing list of packages
27 > out of package.mask.
28
29 Thank you for clarifying this possibility, that's a good feature;
30 though my wonder here is whether that set will unintentionally change,
31 this could happen if the set is used for other purposes. (emerge @set)
32
33 See my previous mail for that concern.
34
35 > Now, if you're viewing a set as being a metapackage rather than a list
36 > of specs, this doesn't apply. But then why have sets at all if they're
37 > just a metapackage?
38
39 You can also ask the opposite:
40
41 But why have meta packages if they can be sets?
42
43 Sets are placed together; which as a result, give you a better overview
44 of the existing sets. How does one for example query all the meta
45 packages that are in the tree?
46
47 It also keeps you from defining package specific matters that a meta
48 package doesn't really need (EAPI, KEYWORDS, S, ...).
49
50 On the other hand, meta packages have IUSE; that might not fit in sets.
51
52 (I'm not choosing for a particular side, just enumerating thoughts.)
55 With kind regards,
56
57 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
58 Gentoo Developer
59
60 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
61 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
62 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D