From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Sets in the tree
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 19:28:14
1 On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 20:57:57 +0200
2 Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
3 > On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 19:09:40 +0100
4 > Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > Er, look at the first post in the thread:
6 >
7 > That was about the repository, not about the PMS; the question was
8 > whether we need to respect the PMS
9
10 Ask yourself this: if it were a Paludis-specific feature not covered by
11 PMS instead of a Portage-specific feature not covered by PMS, would you
12 be happy with it being put in the main tree? If the answer is no, then
13 it shouldn't be in the tree.
14
15 > and why it misses this _feature_, for which no proposed specification
16 > exists afaik, so I don't see why you quote that implementation as a
17 > reason for it not being in the PMS.
18
19 It's not in PMS because no-one's finished the usual process for getting
20 it into PMS.
21
22 > > In order for sets to be added to the tree, we need a spec, we need
23 > > to decide where sets are allowed (package.mask?), and we need an
24 > > implementation.
25 >
26 > Sets in package.mask sounds unreliable as that would prohibit the set
27 > from being changed as long as it masked; unless of course, the
28 > specification would allow for a concept like "mask sets" to exist
29 > where a particular set is denoted as masked. Otherwise, you would have
30 > people add / remove things from a normal set and break the mask
31 > intent.
32
33 Using the conventional view of what a "set" is, the point is to allow
34 you to mask, say, kde7 using a single line, and then define what kde7
35 is using a set. Then the user can unmask kde7 without having to copy a
36 big, potentially changing list of packages out of package.mask.
37
38 Now, if you're viewing a set as being a metapackage rather than a list
39 of specs, this doesn't apply. But then why have sets at all if they're
40 just a metapackage?
43 Ciaran McCreesh