From: Thomas de Grenier de Latour <degrenier@×××××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] Breaking up the beast known as app-games
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 06:45:44
1 On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 00:13:17 -0400
2 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Thursday 04 September 2003 16:14, Thomas de Grenier de Latour
5 > wrote:
6 >
7 > > I don't see the main difficulty in modifying portage, but rather in
8 > > doing the transition <snip>
9
10 > nah, if we change the rsync targets ... :)
11 > then have the 'next gen' of portage sync against the new target ...
12 > old people wouldnt get updates so they'd be encouraged to upgrade
13 > their portage and update the rsync target ...
14 >
15 > i'm not saying that this rsync is the answer ... the point is that it
16 > can be done semi-easily ...
17
18 Yes, you're right. Maybe it would also speed up the transition period if
19 there was a mechanism to really force people to upgrade their portage
20 version when needed. I imagine a "minversion" file in the tree, with a
21 version number and an explanation message, and portage would refuse to
22 update anything else than himself if its current version is below the
23 current required version (and then display the explanation message
24 instead). Who know, its an easy to add feature, and it may be useful in
25 other situations.
28 TGL.
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list