From: "Dustin C. Hatch" <admiralnemo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dropping static libs support from cryptsetup and lvm2
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 01:31:02
1 On 7/29/2013 20:07, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 9:01 PM, Dustin C. Hatch <admiralnemo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> I think the point is that users may have an initramfs (that they built
4 >> manually or using some tool besides dracut or genkernel) that makes use of
5 >> cryptsetup/lvm2 built statically, or perhaps they just like it that way, so
6 >> why take away that ability and make them change?
7 >
8 > Presumably because it is harder to maintain? If somebody wants to
9 > maintain (proxy or otherwise) the needed changes to support the static
10 > USE flag my opinion is that they should be able to do so. They would
11 > need to be responsive on bugs/etc and not be a burden on the other
12 > maintainers.
13 >
14 > However, if nobody wants to step up and do the work, then those who
15 > are doing the work basically get the last word in how it gets done.
16 > That's just how things roll around here.
17 >
18 > Besides, you could make the same argument about every binary in
19 > /(s)bin. Initramfs builders manage to deal with a dynamically-linked
20 > bash, so they should be able to handle lvm+cryptsetup.
21 >
22 > Rich
23 >
24 As I understood the OP's request, he was looking for current use cases
25 of the option. yac offered one. As usual, he was met with "your argument
26 is invalid." I was merely trying to help his point.
29 ♫Dustin
30 http://dustin.hatch.name/