From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dropping static libs support from cryptsetup and lvm2
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 01:07:49
1 On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 9:01 PM, Dustin C. Hatch <admiralnemo@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I think the point is that users may have an initramfs (that they built
3 > manually or using some tool besides dracut or genkernel) that makes use of
4 > cryptsetup/lvm2 built statically, or perhaps they just like it that way, so
5 > why take away that ability and make them change?
6
7 Presumably because it is harder to maintain? If somebody wants to
8 maintain (proxy or otherwise) the needed changes to support the static
9 USE flag my opinion is that they should be able to do so. They would
10 need to be responsive on bugs/etc and not be a burden on the other
11 maintainers.
12
13 However, if nobody wants to step up and do the work, then those who
14 are doing the work basically get the last word in how it gets done.
15 That's just how things roll around here.
16
17 Besides, you could make the same argument about every binary in
18 /(s)bin. Initramfs builders manage to deal with a dynamically-linked
19 bash, so they should be able to handle lvm+cryptsetup.
20
21 Rich