From: Peter Alfredsen <peter.alfredsen@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: virtual/libudev
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 21:45:56
1 On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 11:04 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 15:27:41 -0400
3 > Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Personally, I think a consolidated systemd/udev package is the best
6 >> way to go here.
7 >
8 > A consolidated package means that:
9 >
10 > - every change made by udev developers would have to be reviewed by
11 > systemd team to make sure it doesn't break systemd. udev developers
12 > don't use systemd;
13 > - every change made by systemd developers would have to be reviewed by
14 > udev team to make sure it doesn't break openrc. systemd developers
15 > usually don't run openrc;
16 > - udev developers will force me to use eclasses they like and force
17 > their coding style on me;
18 > - i will force eclasses I like and my coding style on udev developers;
19 > - new udev wouldn't be able to be stabilized without systemd being
20 > stabilized at the same time (and I don't really think systemd is in
21 > any condition to go stable),
22 > - there will be a few random flags which will either work or not,
23 > depending on a state of magical switch flag,
24 > - and after all, the ebuild will be basically one big use-conditional.
25
26 So, since this is blocking up development and people actually solving
27 things, could we just have virtual/udev and be done with it? Upstream
28 obviously reneged on their promise to make the component parts
29 buildable separately, so the virtual seems like the only sane choice
30 right now.
31
32 /Peter