From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: floppym@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: virtual/libudev
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 21:05:18
1 On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 15:27:41 -0400
2 Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Personally, I think a consolidated systemd/udev package is the best
5 > way to go here.
6
7 A consolidated package means that:
8
9 - every change made by udev developers would have to be reviewed by
10 systemd team to make sure it doesn't break systemd. udev developers
11 don't use systemd;
12 - every change made by systemd developers would have to be reviewed by
13 udev team to make sure it doesn't break openrc. systemd developers
14 usually don't run openrc;
15 - udev developers will force me to use eclasses they like and force
16 their coding style on me;
17 - i will force eclasses I like and my coding style on udev developers;
18 - new udev wouldn't be able to be stabilized without systemd being
19 stabilized at the same time (and I don't really think systemd is in
20 any condition to go stable),
21 - there will be a few random flags which will either work or not,
22 depending on a state of magical switch flag,
23 - and after all, the ebuild will be basically one big use-conditional.
27 Best regards,
28 Michał Górny