From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: GPL and Source code providing
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 14:31:10
1 On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 08:38:42AM -0500, Lance Albertson wrote:
2 > Brian Harring wrote:
3 > > On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 09:00:29AM -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
4 > >> On Tue, 2006-07-04 at 18:34 +0300, Marius Mauch wrote:
5 > >>> Patrick McLean schrieb:
6 > >>>> I have absolutely zero experience with catalyst, but couldn't it be made
7 > >>>> to create a source CD ISO when it is generating the binary one? Just
8 > >>>> make a cd with all the distfiles used in the ISO, and keep the source
9 > >>>> ISO with the binary one in /historical.
10 > >>> Creating an ISO isn't a problem (assuming you have the sources, which
11 > >>> for historical releases might be a problem), but it would require
12 > >>> another several hundred megabytes per release on the mirrors which isn't
13 > >>> exactly a trivial amount.
14 > >> No, it would almost double the space used by the release. Current
15 > >> releases use about 12-14G of space. Doubling that would mean reducing
16 > >> the amount of stuff we're allowed to distribute dramatically,
17 > >> essentially crippling our release capabilities.
18 > >
19 > > Stupid question, but the master mirroring setup actually holds onto
20 > > files after it moves them off of the gentoo mirror tier- purgatory
21 > > dir.
22 > >
23 > > Why not just make that dir accessible via web/torrent/whatever on
24 > > a seperate server? Abusing osprey for it is a bit much (mainly infra
25 > > has asked to wipe files from the purgatory dir in the past, which is a
26 > > no go), so seperate probably is wise.
27 >
28 > No way in hell are we running such a service on the master mirror.
29
30 If you read what I said, I explicitly said do *not* run it on the
31 tier/master mirror.
35 > I
36 > don't see why we need to have a public system setup as long as we can
37 > provide the source when asked. As far as a I know, the GPL doesn't
38 > dicate that we have to provide the sources in an internet media form.
39 > They just need to be available when requested. Perhaps we can have a
40 > document that explains a process for getting said sources. I don't see
41 > the point of creating a torrent/whatever system just for the rare
42 > instances that people want the older source. Way too much overhead for
43 > something I don't see being used much.
44
45 Files are going to have to be held onto somewhere long term- which is
46 easier, flipping on lighttpd for the storage dir, or having to dick
47 around with making requests of infra (waiting for them to respond),
48 and requiring infra to do more work?
49
50 Upshot of my suggestion, folk have access to the purgatory dir so they
51 can go digging through old files from the mirror tier as needed.
52
53 Two birds, one stone.
56 > > Further filtering of the files to those under gpl (pulled from pkg
57 > > metadata) is doable, just would need to mangle mirror-dist a bit to
58 > > maintain long term info about who owned what (instead of it's current
59 > > "out of sight, out of the db" approach).
60 > >
61 > > Just a thought- machinery is mostly there, might as well abuse it.
62 >
63 > A lot of the stuff that's currently in the purgatory area also includes
64 > sources for stuff we didn't make (upstream sources, etc). If you can
65 > separate those files from Gentoo specific files, then it would be much
66 > easier to manag (from an admin point of view). Its not practical to
67 > assume we have an infinite amount of space.
68
69 As I said, mirror-dist would require modification- something that is a
70 few hours worth of work, rather then harassing releng to hack up
71 catalyst to build a src image... then harassing infra for a location
72 they can upload it to, and harassing infra to push those files into an
73 archival location.
74
75 End result, infra has to maintain archives. My proposal, all infra
76 has to do is flip on lighttpd somewhere, and I (or zac) do the
77 mirror-dist modifications.
78
79 ~harring